Tuesday 24 April 2012

Wedding fever part 2 - a woman's prerogative

Yes, every woman has the right to change her mind and this is exactly what I have done.

I got as far as sewing the exterior of my bag together and then wasn't sure. So I went back to the shop, found a fabric that was a slightly different colour, and some organza to cover it with and felt happier. Except now it was turning into a race against time. Pretty much like the one Keanu Reeves was facing in Speed…Yes, that serious.

So, after printing some fabric and then machine stitching over the top, I was ready to assemble my purse.
I printed the fabric with the same colours as my previous piece of fabric and then machine stitched around the design using free-motion stitching.

With hindsight, it probably wasn't the best time to embark on a new project and a new skill with so little time to go, but if you don't have the right bag, then things get desperate!

So everything was going well, I sewed all the pieces together, slot A went into Slot B. and then I went to fit the purse to the frame. First of all, I glued the frame, and then the fabric. And then I put the two together. I had no idea it would be so fiddley! And if that wasn't bad enough, it wouldn't fit. I was about 2cm short on one side. I finally realised that the pattern had printed as 'shrink to fit to page' and was now a little a little too snug.

After abandoning all hope, I went to bed and had a dream in the night about how I could fix it. I cut down the sides a bit to make them shorter, and hey presto, it finally fit. Who'd have thought my subconscious had the answers all the time? And where was it when I was weeping into my gluey little hands?


Anyway, all is well and to all intents and purposes, looks good! I have the necessary battle scars for next time to make it easier for myself. There has to be a next time as I bought two frames…

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this little beauty, it is really lovely and shows no signs of causing torture.

    ReplyDelete