Saturday 14 April 2012

Only Smarties have the answer.

We were out and about last week and the children were suffering from chocolate withdrawals. Yes, a day after Easter, and the double-my-bodyweight quantity of chocolate awaiting them at home was not the right kind of chocolate.…sigh. So, in Tesco, child 1 asked for Smarties and we duly obliged. It was only upon closer inspection that we realised that it is the 75th anniversary, and to celebrate, they are printing Smartie tubes from the 70s! Just seeing the packet took me back to the nostalgia of that time - platform shoes, Clothkits, The Muppets. Hang on, that sounds familiar… anyway, just seeing a little bit of my childhood made me feel all sentimental. And not in the same way as when my mum brings round plastic bags of my old clothes/toys/exercise books/admonishments to the Tooth Fairy for dropping a tooth on her way out. It was more a feeling of warmth for a time when happiness was a trip to the Sweetie Shop for a packet of Smarties. Luckily said child didn't request a Retro Mars bar. I shall be forever plagued by guilt at having got my mum to do my science drawings for me and my Headmaster giving me 14p to buy a Mars Bar as he was so impressed. I don't remember handing over the 14p to her. Sorry Mum. I realise now what a thankless task motherhood can sometimes be.

No comments:

Post a Comment