Tuesday 3 April 2012

Sex and Sensibility

We were watching a tv programme we had recorded recently, and saw an advert for Sex and Sensibility. No anything to do with Jane Austen-style hot flushes in the presence of dashing (rich) men, but rather a documentary and commentary of the Art Nouveau movement. The programme having passed me by when it was on, I managed to find it on the iPlayer where I found the first two episodes.

It was fascinating. I knew about some of the artists (particularly Rennie Mackintosh whom I love and went to Glasgow to tour around some of his finest moments) and buildings, but the history of the movement and historical background was pretty new to me. I also found Stephen Smith a very engaging presenter. He has a very dry sense of humour and delivery, and the smooth voice of Kevin McLeod, and I thought he made the whole story interesting without being dry. Particularly interesting were the segments about Rene Lalique and Emile Gallé. It was a fascinating programme and I'll definitely be watching the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment