Friday 15 November 2013

Art Van Go Exhibition - Taking Textiles Further

I paid my first visit to Art Van Go this week.  I have seen Viv and Kev many a time when at shows, but I've never seen the Knebworth shop and gallery.  It's great!  If you love their stands at the shows, it's just like that, but with more goodies.

poster

As there is an exhibition on at the moment by pupils of Janet Edmonds, called Taking Textiles Further, I popped over there in the week to have a look at what was there.  And also to browse around the shop without being constantly elbowed out of the way by over-excited Show Shoppers.

I loved the work that was there.  My particular favourites were pieces by Buffy Fieldhouse which used printing in line and pattern that was reminiscent of Viking Runes.  I loved the way the pieces were assembled and that they were so visually striking with effective colour palettes.

Be What You Are IV Buffy Fieldhouse

Be What You Are I - Buffy Fieldhouse

Be What You Are I - Buffy Fieldhouse

Be What You Are II - Buffy Fieldhouse

Other members of the exhibition were Mary Gamester, who had sewn this beautiful handstitched picture.  I loved the colours and design:


Marian Hall's piece Gridlock I was lovely, with little snippets of handstitching in a contrasting colour that really stood out against the dark background.



Marian Hall - Gridlock I (detail)
Marian Hall - Gridlock I
























Marian Hall's work Gridlock II was also a beautfiul piece and in the contrasting panel, the gold thread outlines lifted the shapes and highlighted them (above left and detail right).


June Withers produced some fantastically bright work which I loved:

June Withers: Autumn Leaves (left), Summer Glory II (middle), Summer Glory I (right)

There were other artists exhibiting but there's not room to put them all here - shame.  It's worth a look (especially if combined with a shopping trip), and the exhibition is on until 30 November.



6 comments:

  1. Lovely pics Ms Crumpet .. and I love Buffys work too. I am predisposed to like anyone called Buffy - but they are such elegant compositions I would have to like them even if she was called .. um .. don't want to put any ordinary names now as might upset someone .. but even if she was called something dull and ordinary.
    Art van Go is both a wonderful cavern of gorgeous stuff and the most terrible and deadly temptation ..... so brill then xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky girl. I wished I lived closer so I could visit too. I love Art Van Go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha Hilary. Maybe 'Bob' is a good choice of a name. I always think of the way Rowan Atkinson said 'Bob' in Blackadder II when I think of that name...

    Jacqui, it was my first visit! I can't believe I haven't gone sooner. I'm not that close but it was definitely worth a visit. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reviewing our exhibition and so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the exhbition Marian, and thanks so much for getting in touch. We will be putting a note onto the WOW Facebook page so we are spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reviewing the exhibition Sam. I really wanted to go and just can't fit it in. Great pics of some fabulous work.
    x

    ReplyDelete