Wednesday 13 March 2013

A fable (without the moral at the end)

I put quick posts on my facebook page www.facebook.com/catchacrumpsey the other week, but wanted to put some more details about what I have been making recently.

I have a sister.  She had a skirt. She wasn't wearing the skirt much because it was too long.  It was a lovely skirt - grey wool felt with a flocked design.  She was going to give the skirt to charity.  I said "Don't do that.  I will shorten your skirt, and then I will make a bag out of it for you".  I'm not adding that I said I'd give it her for Christmas, as it's now March and I only finished it recently.

SO, I shortened the skirt and my sister was much happier to wear the skirt.  Then, I was going to make the bag.  The plan I had was to make a little handbag (small and cute), but then my sister works a lot in that skirt, and it needed to be a bit more practical.  Something to fit her many gadgets inside (or at least some yarn, as she always seem to be carrying that around and knitting).  So we agreed on a bowling bag style.  Luckily I had a great book with just the pattern:


Ooh, you can see a tiny little picture of the bag style in the bottom centre picture.

This book Bag Boutique, by Amy Barikman, had some great bag patterns and shapes.  I had made a couple of them before. This bag was new, so it was quite exciting.  I had just enough fabric to make it.

So, I made the bag.  You overlock all the edges of each piece (outside, wadding and lining) on the right side, and then sew all the pieces together to make the bag up.  There is no fiddling with the lining separately.



It was a good bag to make.  The Soft n Stable wadding gave it a good shape.


The lining was Tilda fabric, Bella Red bought from Lovely and Lovely.


I think my sister will like it.  If there was a moral, it would be that if you are busy before Christmas, don't offer it as a present.  But what I have also learrned is that it's good to try something new, as you might surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment