Friday 18 May 2012

Walking in the Woods

I accompanied a small person on a school trip recently, to the woods.  I am not much of an outdoor person at the best of times, and this was right slap bang in the middle of the rainy spell we've been having since, erm, March.  The wet and damp coupled with the cold, and the tree canopies holding onto the wet, damp and cold, made for a pretty miserable day.

But you can always find a rainbow in the rain.  I didn't find an actual rainbow as it was too dark for light to filter through to where were were shivering.  As part of a Land Art exercise the children did, I picked up a cone and got this great picture:


That was the highlight of my day.  Not pond dipping or searching for mini beasts (funnily enough).

That and the little talk that we were given about land art, demonstrated with a book called Wood by Andy Goldsworthy.  I had never heard of him before, but he creates amazing pieces of art using nature.  I have found a link to a site with some photos of his work:

http://www.morning-earth.org/artistnaturalists/an_goldsworthy.html

There are lots of books on the Thames and Hudson website, and a DVD released by Artificial Eye called Rivers and Tides, which I am trying to get hold of at the moment.  I could sit and look at the pictures for hours.

*Update* I have found out that Rivers and Tides is not available at the moment, but the lovely DVD Manager at Artificial Eye tells me that it is due for reissue soon.

1 comment:

  1. Wowza! makes me want to go for a rainy walk, or even better a sunny one and see what I can find to make art with. Lovely post!
    x

    ReplyDelete