Thursday 1 August 2013

Lindsay Taylor's Embroidered Art Book Launch

Today I have had the most fabulous day at the Book Launch of Lindsay Taylor's book Embroidered Art, published by Search Press.

#

You can see from the cover that you get a pretty fabulous book with some of the most beautiful stitching fashioned into exquisite shoes and necklaces and pincushions and more.  My full review will be in the September issue of Workshop on the Web, but suffice to say, I would jump at the chance to buy this book and immerse yourself in Lindsay's welcoming and open account of her life in stitch.  It is a book you will treasure.

The launch was at Kew Gardens, and I couldn't think of a better venue for a book so immersed in nature and beauty.  On one of the hottest days of the year as well, it couldn't have gone better with the venue, the surroundings and the company.

I had the chance for a quick chat with Lindsay Taylor and told her how wonderful I thought the book was, and how beautiful that artwork is.  It is refreshing to talk to someone with so much enthusiasm about her work and generosity in sharing her story of how she got to where she is now.  Dressed in an amazing outfit and a rather splendid bag (home-made I'm sure), the whole atmosphere of the event was of a family affair (many of Lindsay's family had come along), and I felt privileged to be part of it.

Another high point was meeting the lovely Mary of Search Press, who supplies me with many lovely books to review for Workshop on the Web.  Making our introductions purely by chance, I chatted to Mary about books and fairs and some of their upcoming projects.  I left without any more time to have a sneaky peak around Kew Gardens, but it was worth it through having had such a lovely time chatting away.

An amazing lampshade and stand hand felted and embroidered with leaves.   

A close up of an embroidered leaf on the lampshade.  Beautiful work.

One of my favourite pieces, with beautiful pastel coloured roses in a bouquet.

An amazing cabbage teacup.  I loved this - doesn't it just look exactly like a cabbage???!

There were several beautiful necklaces, so elegant and again showing a huge amount of detail and artistry.

Another necklace.

Lindsay Taylor and myself, feeling very tall and very short respectively.  Lindsay did have high heels on and I was wearing flats, which probably didn't help with our height difference.  Lindsay has a natural style and looks amazing.

Me and my New Best Friend, Mary from Search Press.  After several years of communicating via e-mail, it was great to finally meet her.

Lindsay Taylor with her book in the beautiful surroundings at Kew Gardens.
I had a fantastic time.  And the great news is that Search Press are offering a copy of the book for a Workshop on the Web giveaway.  You need to go to the WOW Facebook page to get the details on how to win this or one of a selection of books reviewed either on WOW or on this blog.  Good Luck!!



1 comment:

  1. Oh wow - the whole thing looks wonderful, Sam. Lindsay's work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete