Saturday 27 October 2012

Janet Smith Can't Knit

I had to give this book a post all of its own. 

I came across this at the Knitting and Stitching Show and my eye was caught by 2 little aliens sitting on the Rowan stand.

The book is called Janet Smith Can't Knit and it is the work of Suzie Johnson (owner of The Wool Sanctuary), who has created 12 handknit designs that are becoming my favourite things of the year so far.


I feel like I could be Janet Smith.  She is the sister of author Suzie Johnson, and she does not knit.  Suzie even goes so far as to describe her as the “worst knitter ever”.  My sister knits, really well, and although I can knit in straight lines, I will never win any awards, or manage to knit a scarf with my name in it, or knit my child’s entire wardrobe (for which in 20 years you will not be thanked for).  But after buying this book (for my sister), I might try and knit a Janet Smith (also an alien).


The knitting patterns in this book are must-have.  There are 12 in total and they are all quirky, fun and exciting patterns.  There is a hat and scarf and cushion and blanket, but they are really great patterns.  The designs are new and fresh and funny, and feature big eyes (which remind me of Mikey in Monsters Inc), and fruit and bright colours.  The book is printed on excellent cardstock throughout, which (trying not to be shallow about these things), I could have bought for this alone.  The photography is very modern and stylish.  And it is good for the budding knitter, in that the stitches don’t get more complicated than stocking stitch, reverse stocking stitch and garter stitch.  Which I think even I could manage. 


So now I am sorry I told my sister I had bought this book for her. I am even more sorry that I got Suzie to sign it with HER name on it!!! But I am stalling getting to the Post Office [cue evil laughter]...
 
It would be a perfect Christmas present (in the case of my sister, for NEXT year), and Suzie Johnson was a lovely sweet person, so I am spreading the word to as many people as I can.  After all, who doesn't want a Janet Smith (also v cute alien) of their own?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment